Charity Organizations in Cambodia
Charity Organization, Non Governmental and Non Profit Organizations and Associations play crucial roles in Cambodia to reconstruct the country economies and societies development. Private sectors significantly grow since 1993. When the country started receiving eventual peace and restoring the entire nation from the severe destruction and genocide period of the chronic civil war and Pol Pot regime.
According to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Kingdom of Cambodia, there were more than 400 foreign NGOs signed MoU with the Ministry and most of those already expired by 2019. To the moment of this post copywriting, we could not find the updated list yet.
However, according to the news on Phnom Penh Post, the Ministry of Interior of Cambodia has mentioned that there were 5,386 NGOs and Associations had registered in Cambodia with the Ministry of Interior of Kingdom of Cambodia since 1993. Among these, 3,251 were NGOs and 2,135 associations. Only 2,000 such institutions had carried out work in 2016 and 2017. This is the extract from the Phnom Penh Post dated 01 October 2019.
To the great numbers of the above quick review, it is really impossible to learn who is doing what and which is still actively in improving the underprivileged people of lives of Cambodia. Therefore with this news blog, Sam Inspire would like to share those Charity Organizations in Cambodia who are still on the paper and active as following:
- Angkor Hospital for Children (AHC) – is the most qualified hospital for children, giving medical care for free of charge. This medical charity is famous for its warm hospitality and heartfelt care giving from all levels of staff. AHC has only one which is in Siem Reap only.
- All For Kids Organization (AFK) – known as Angkor Kids Center, AFK NGO is a small charity in name and popularity but it does an immense job to give free education to children and teen in rural area. AFK charity located in rural Siem Reap, a few kilometers Northeast of Angkor Wat temple.
- Cambodian Children Fund (CCF) – is a US registered Charity founded to to help the most underprivileged children in one community in Phnom Penh, Cambodia have a bright future. They offer all the basic living need to, education and reintegrate them to be a leader.
- Jayavarman VII Hospital – Kuntha Bopha Children Hospitals – Kuntha Bopha consists of 5 hospitals, one in Siem Reap and other fours in Phnom Penh. Founded by Dr. med. Beat Richner, the Kantha Bopha hospitals take care of about 85% of all the sick children in Cambodia. 80% of the seriously ill and hospitalized children would not have a chance of survival without these hospitals. All the treatments are free of charge. 80% of the Cambodians are without any means and 80% of patients come from families with a daily income of USD 1.00 or less. It is simply impossible for them to pay!
- Cambodian League for the Promotion and Defense of Human Rights (LICADHO) – is a non profit organization focusing on Human Rights promotion, protection and advocacy. Established in 1992, LICADHO has been at the forefront of efforts to protect civil, political, economic and social rights in Cambodia and to promote respect for them by the Cambodian government and institutions.